Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sugardough Panificio & Patisserie, Brunswick East

Sugardough is indeed on Lygon Street but it is on the WAY far end of Lygon street - not the prettiest of locations but it sure stands out amongst all the other shops around it. It is very Italian with small tables at the front, extremely small (there are only 8 small tables inside) and decored very cosily. It has a nice ambience and is very popular with the locals. 163 Lygon St, Brunswick East, 3057


"This morning was just so funny. Michelle and I tend to get OVER-excited when it comes to trying out new cafes and after reading great reviews about Sugardough, our expectations were HIGH! The cafe was so pretty, intimately small and jam packed with patrons ... it must be good we thought.. of course we got even more excited. Michelle managed to get us a table and we sat down excited waiting for our order (cash only) of hot drinks and two bombolinis (one with custard and one with plum jam $2.60 each). But when we dug into the donut, it was dry, thick, plain, not sweet with very little custard filling. So we decided to give Sugardough another chance, maybe their other pastries are good so we tried a custard croissant - big mistake. One bite was all I could take. Michelle looked at me and said she just gained calories on something that didn't taste good. Whoops. But on the upside - I thought my coffee was REALLY nice. I think it would have been nicer to just have a coffee and their sourdough toast and avoid sweet pastries. I like the ambience and feel of this cafe but I would not venture all the way back to Sugardough. If I was a local I would be really happy to have Sugardough nearby for a good sit down Sunday coffee and the morning paper (just no sweets thanks)." TAM


"I was overly excited about our outing this morning, expecting some good pastries/sweets and a nice hot chocolate. Afterall, I did give up my sleep in time to try it out :P This place did have a nice ambience and the way they displayed their sweets were very appealing. Tam read about their famous bombolinis so we decided to try them out and they had a few selections there. I was eagar to try them all and suggested we get three, chocolate, jam and custard. The person serving me didn't catch the chocolate one and I thought we could just start on the two first. I thank myself for that decision. When the food arrived, it looked good. Tam picked up that I ordered the wrong hot chocolate and got it changed to an Italian one, what a good friend. But that didn't quite make up for the disappointment of the two bombolinis. I was expecting them to be fluffly and soft but they were thick and dry. The one with jam was slightly better, it had more filling than the custard one. Tam was too scared to make another choice so she got me to choose another sweet thing to try. I chose the custard croissant which was also a let down. It wasn't delicate, flaky and buttery as I imagined it to be - The hot chocolate, if you didn't tell me it was an Italian one, I wouldn't have guessed. I would have thought that was just an ordinary one but slightly more chocolatey. It's not a bad drink, just ordinary. Will I go back? If I'm ever in the area, I will, there's so many other choices there, something has to be good. Maybe we just chose the wrong sweets today :)" MICHELLE



No comments:

Post a Comment