Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cafe Vue at 401 St Kilda Road

Shannon Bennett seems to have wowed Melbourne with his successful Vue De Monde restaurant so we were very glad to hear that his second Cafe Vue was situated just outside the CBD, a much more accessible location. As usual, we were both over-excited at the thought of sampling what the genius Mr. Bennett had to offer on a more affordable scale and this is how our first visit went. 401 St Kilda Rd (near the corner of Toorak Rd). http://www.vuedemonde.com.au/cafe-vue.aspx


"Cafe Vue had a nice ambience - it was spacious and modern with nice french touches here and there and I have to say the service was fantastic, extremely friendly and thoughtful waiters/resses. My typical breakfast out is always a coffee and a pastry whereas Michelle on the other hand has to start her day off with something savoury, traditionally eggs on toast. So to keep her company, I decided to try the duck cassoulet jaffle which I have never seen on a breakfast menu before and for $6.50, it was extremely affordable. I was expecting tiny portions but it was quite big with generous filling. The duck was fatty and teamed with the beans it was very good. However it is best to eat this straight away when hot. The croissant was very average and not something to rave about (the jam was heavenly) and unfortunately neither was the coffee. The coffee was cute but small and a bit too strong for my liking. Of course, we HAD to get some baguettes takeaway for our lunches which were SO good. I tried the cocktail prawn and it was beautiful - the baguette was chewy just like in Paris and the prawns were big and full of flavour. I loved every bite and know I would be returning for their baguettes. And maybe an eclair or a macaroon next time as well. Overall I would say 401 is great for lunches and meals." TAM



"Knowing that this cafe was related to the famous Vue De Monde, it got me very excited. I do like to start off the day with something savoury so I chose the eggs on toast. The eggs were cooked at 62 degrees which meant that it was still runny inside. Never had eggs done this way and it was quite nice. Only problem was that they added abit of pepper on top and I'm not a pepper fan. The croissant was only so so and the hot chocolate was nothing to rave about. It was actually quite milky, and I'm a big chocolate fan so like it to have a stronger chocolate taste. The take away wagyu pastrami baguette was so delicious :) The bread was really nice and the filling was so good and thanks to Tam who took out the cheese for me :) Will surely return to sample their baguettes again and their nice showcase of sweets." MICHELLE



No comments:

Post a Comment